Monash Youth Resilience Survey
In 2017 Gateway LLEN partnered with Monash Waverley School Focused Youth Service and Resilient Youth to deliver the Youth Resilience Survey to primary and secondary schools in the Monash LGA.
The survey was conducted by Resilience Youth, a registered not for profit organisation with contribution from renowned child and youth psychologist and author Andrew Fuller. Resilience Youth Australia collected, collated and analysed the self-reported strengths of young people. The survey is framed in 3 resilience pathways: safe, healthy and fulfilling which provide a picture of resilience in our young people.
In March-April over 10,000 students from 32 schools were surveyed. Overall, the results indicate the Monash young people have higher levels of resilience when compared to national data. 51.5% of Monash young people have ‘good/excellent’ levels of resilience (49% National average) and 48.5% indicate ‘low/fair’ levels (51% National average).
Key strengths identified
- 90% of students feel safe at home
- 89% of students feel connected to school
- 90% of students are engaged in the learning process
- 90% of parents try to help their children to succeed
- 90% of students think it is important to help others
- 91% of students value diversity
Key challenges identified
- 36% of students are losing sleep through worry
- 59% of students text between 10pm and 6pm
- 44% of students are not getting 8 hours sleep
- 41% of students do not feel in control of their lives
- 37% do not feel optimistic about their future
- 37% are constantly under strain
Gateway LLEN and its contributing partners are currently providing participating schools with the opportunity to identify cohorts at risk and develop and implement strategic and practical initatives to counter those risk factors.
We have summarised the 2017 data and developed an overall Snapshot, as well as a series of Year level Profiles from Year 5 & 6 – Year 12. These are available to download below.
For further information on the Monash Resilience Youth survey, contact Bianca Spence, Project Officer at Gateway LLEN firstname.lastname@example.org or 9285 4844
- Monash Youth Resilience Snapshot 2017
- Year 7 – 12 Profile Monash Youth Resilience 2017
- Year 12 Profile Monash Youth Resilience 2017
- Year 11 Profile Monash Youth Resilience 2017
- Year 10 Profile Monash Youth Resilience 2017
- Year 9 Profile Monash Youth Resilience 2017
- Year 8 Profile Monash Youth Resilience 2017
- Year 7 Profile Monash Youth Resilience 2017
- Year 5 and 6 Profile Monash Youth Resilience 2017